Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud. This means that users can rent virtual computers on which they can run their own computer applications and no matter how your computing requirements change over time, EC2 has the capacity for quick scalability allowing you to obtain and boot up new servers in minutes. Amazon EC2 provides developers the tools to build failure resilient applications and isolate them from common failure scenarios.
Features & Benefits
- Elastic Web-Scale Computing – Increase or decrease capacity within minutes.
- Completely Controlled – Have complete control of your instances including root access and the ability to interact with them as you would any machine.
- Flexible Cloud Hosting Services – Have the choice of multiple instance types, operating systems, and software packages.
- Integrated – EC2 can integrated with most AWS services like Amazon S3, Amazon RDS and Amazon VPC.
- Reliable – Offers a highly reliable environment where replacement instances can be rapidly and predictably created.
- Secure – Benefit from a data center and network architecture built to meet the requirements of the most security-sensitive organizations.
- Inexpensive – Pay a very low rate for the compute capacity you actually use.
Common Use Cases for EC2
- Hosting Environments
- Backup and Recovery
- Development and Test Environments
- High Performance Computing
EC2 is the backbone of everything you do in the cloud that isn’t some kind of managed, abstract, service (Lightsail, Aurora, Lambda etc). No need to budget or procure and manage physical hardware. EC2 allows you to create virtually an combination of hardware, operating system and software that is not only affordable, font tolerant and scalable but repeatable. EC2 allows you to design the environment for the application instead of the other way around and delivers on the dream of being able to have as many servers, in any size and configuration, with any OS/application combination at the touch of a button or trigger. EC2 is one of the most useful AWS products 729 uses and recommends as an AWS partner.