Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud. This means that users can rent virtual computers on which they can run their own computer applications and no matter how your computing requirements change over time, EC2 has the capacity for quick scalability allowing you to obtain and boot up new servers in minutes. If you want to build failure resistant applications, Amazon EC2 provides the tools and isolates you from common failure scenarios.
Features & Benefits
- Elastic Web-Scale Computing – Increase or decrease capacity within minutes.
- Completely Controlled – Have the ability to interact with them as you would any machine, you get root access and complete control of your instances.
- Flexible Cloud Hosting Services – Fully customizable depending on your needs.
- Integrated – EC2 can integrated with most AWS services like Amazon S3, Amazon RDS and Amazon VPC.
- Reliable – Rapidly create replacement instances when eve you need.
- Secure – Benefit from AWS’s understanding of meeting requirements for security-sensitive organizations.
- Inexpensive – Only pay for what you use.
Common Use Cases for EC2
- Hosting Environments
- Backup and Recovery
- Development and Test Environments
- High Performance Computing
EC2 is the backbone of everything you do in the cloud that isn’t some kind of managed, abstract, service (Lightsail, Aurora, Lambda, etc). No need to budget or procure and manage physical hardware. EC2 allows you to create virtually any combination of hardware, operating system, and software that is not only affordable, font tolerant, and scalable but repeatable. EC2 allows you to design the environment for the application instead of the other way around and delivers on the dream of being able to have as many servers, in any size and configuration, with any OS/application combination at the touch of a button or trigger. EC2 is one of the most useful AWS products 729 uses and recommends as an AWS partner.
Not sure where to start with AWS? Download our AWS Product Cheat Sheet!